Me 163 references
The DVD 'Wings of Fire - The Messerschmitt Me-163' was released in February 2006 by James Duffy of Rocket Aero. The contents are:
- Me 163 overview
- a 11:38 film on the history of the Komet, from the early Lippisch tailless designs and rocket experiments, to the operational Me 163B, to the Me 263. Narrated by Chris Edwards
- you can also view the same film with modeling notes narrated by James Duffy
- Me 163 development
- Me 163A testing, a 10:22 film showing various 163A films.
- Me 163B testing, a 9:54 film showing various 163B films. It includes six pieces of film that I hadn't seen before as film, only some stills:
- generic flying footage of the Me 163B (@ 2:10)
- a take-off filmed from the departure end of the runway, showing climb-out (@ 3:35)
- a film of the landing of PK+QP, resting on its left wing tip during much of the landing (something I had never seen before), and seen smoking from the engine and turbine after landing. It is then taken away on a Scheuch-Schlepper with inflatable bags (@ 3:45)
- preflight scenes, boarding and take-off of Dittmar in V18/VA+SP (@ 6:00). The engine running is very impressive!
- a largely unpainted Me 163B prototype towed by a Bf 110 (@ 7:00)
- Opitz boarding and taking off on grass in BV21 (@ 8:25)
- Engine testing, a 6:47 film showing many pieces of film about the Walter and BMW engines I had never seen before.
- Catapult testing, a 2:11 film showing three catapult tests with dummy Komets
- Early German rocketry
- Reinhold Tiling, a 8:45 film on the work of Tiling, small rocket experiments
- Max Valier and Fritz von Opel, a 10:46 film, with rocket powered cars, railcars and aircraft
- Bonus features
- US Army Air Corps Me 163 briefing film, postwar (5:36).
- Gun camera film #1, 3:14, no sound, includes a Mosquito being fired at (@ 2:17) ?!
- Gun camera film #2, 11:17, with sound, overlapping the footage of #1
- Me 163 still photographs (55)
Return to Me 163 references page