I no longer have enough time to properly maintain and update this site. Until further notice I regrettably cannot accept new material for the site. The site will not disappear however.
If someone is interested in taking over this site, and do the subject justice, please contact me. Over the years I learned that creating and maintaining a web site is great fun and rewarding.
This page lists the update to these pages since May 1998:
28 December 2009
- Updated the Links page with a link to the 'Red Stars over Germany' website, recommended!
23 March 2008
- Added 'Rote Plätze - Russische Militärflugplätze' to the references page. An excellent new book!
22 December 2006
- Updated the Links page with a link to Stanislav Pokhodilo's webpage about Brandis air base
25 July 2005
- The site was moved from the TU Delft webserver to the XS4ALL webserver. My thanks go out to the Delft University, more specifically Berthil Grashof and Dylan Krul, for hosting my Komet website for seven years! Please report any problems you experience while navigating the relocated site. The old server will redirect for quite a while.
10 February 2004
28 May 2003
14 April 2003
9 July 2002
- After years of lacking one, finally an Ilyushin 20 photo was added to the'aircraft' section, thanks to Carlos Geurts
- Added one more Mi 6 photo to the 'aircraft' section, thanks to Carlos Geurts
- Added a Jüterbog withdrawal page, showing two photos supplied by Carlos Geurts
20 June 2002
- Updates on the current state of Tutow, Damgarten, Zerbst and Merseburg on the Remains section, with thanks to Bernhard Weiss of the 'Fliegerhorste' site
9 May 2002
- Removed the mirror files from the old server, making the current site the only location for this website
18 February 2002
- Added more information about the Mahlwinkel An 12 (under 'decoys') on the Air bases page, courtesy of Carlos Geurts
- Added a 'Recommended reading' section to the references page, that now contains four books. Titles courtesy of Tjepke Heeringa and Berry Kluytmans
4 October 2001
- Added some news about the current use of Cochstedt to the Remains section
10 September 2001
- Added some news about the current use of Parchim to the Remains section. Information courtesy of Rene Dolfsma
5 September 2001
- Added a photo report of Werneuchen air base it is now, as part of the Remains section. The photos were kindly supplied by Paul van der Linden
- Added a photo report of Rangsdorf air base it is now, as part of the Remains section. A German friend kindly supplied the photos
- Added a photo report of Brand air base it is now, as part of the Remains section. A German friend kindly supplied the photos
9 August 2001
- Split off a part of the Withdrawal page into a new Remains page, that will contain more material in the near future.
8 August 2001
- After some time of partial mirroring of the original site on this new server, a complete mirror copy was installed today. All files were renamed for better future expansion
1 August 2001
- Updated the Karoly Vandor's museum about Kunmadaras air base page with more information on the bombing range near Kunmadaras, deleted Börgönd as a Russian base, updated the details of Kalocsa-based 396 OVP, and many more airbases housing an Army helicopter unit (Esztergom, Kesckemet, Papa, Szekesfehervar, Taborfalva)
25 July 2001
24 July 2001
17 July 2001
- Restored the link to Bert Kondruß' site on the links page. Unfortunately the original extensive information about the East German Air Force is gone, and a military airfield listing is now the theme
29 June 2001
- Added a link to Michael Grube's 'Lostplaces.de' site on the links page. This site shows deserted military objects, including some former Russian bases. More fascinating stuff!
16 May 2001
- Added a link to Bernhard Weiss' 'Fliegerhorste' site on the links page. This site shows deserted air bases, including some former Russian bases. Fascinating stuff!
20 April 2001
13 April 2001
- Updated the page about Karoly Vandor's museum about Kunmadaras air base with a link to a similar page about Debrecen air base, news about a book dealing with Soviet aviation in Hungary, and a drawing showing the 'Stalin candle' used by Kunmadaras Fencers
15 February 2001
- Added five photos taken at 1991 Finow air show to the air shows page, provided by Berry Kluytmans
25 January 2001
- Added two photos taken at Damgarten air show to the air shows page, provided by Berry Kluytmans
- Added an additional photo of the Templin withdrawal, kindly supplied by Berry Kluytmans
21 December 2000
15 November 2000
22 September 2000
30 May 2000
- Added 6 more magazine articles to the references page, this time from 'Onze Luchtmacht', courtesy of Marcel van Heijkop
- Added scans of of Lutz Freundt's part 3 and the complementary part on Soviet aviation in East Germany
15 May 2000
- Added three new pictures to the Operations page, kindly supplied by Lindsay Peacock
11 May 2000
- Added four new pictures to the Air bases page, showing a MiG 23UB landing at Mirow/Lärz, the Welzow flightline, and two Sperenberg fence-busting shots, all kindly supplied by Lindsay Peacock
- Added one An 12 photograph kindly supplied by Lindsay Peacock
10 May 2000
7 April 2000
- Updated the references page with the latest two issues of Lutz Freundt's books
- Added a stunning night flying picture to the operations page, kindly supplied by Lindsay Peacock
- Added a new page with photographs from the Templin withdrawal, kindly supplied by Lindsay Peacock
- Added a new page with photographs from the Wittstock withdrawal, kindly supplied by Lindsay Peacock
2 March 2000
- Updated the references page with five 'Aviation News' articles by Lindsay Peacock and Bob Archer (details kindly provided by Lindsay Peacock)
28 February 2000
- Updated the references page with a 'Scale Aircraft Modelling' article by Lindsay Peacock
20 December 1999
27 November 1999
28 October 1999
14 September 1999
- Deleted the very incomplete 'movements' page, and replaced it with a links page
21 July 1999
- Added another three historic Orders of Battle, those of 1967,
20 July 1999
- Finally added the first historic Order of Battle, that of 1965
8 July 1999
- Added pictures of of Lutz Freundt's part 1 and part 2 on Soviet aviation in East Germany
6 July 1999
30 June 1999
- Noted that all the updates since 13 May have been lost, due to network problems. Restoration activities will take some time.
13 May 1999
- Added a list of the aircraft at 1994 Wittstock air show by Theo van den Boomen to the air shows page
10 May 1999
- Added a small report of the 1992 Grossenhain air show (by Theo van den Boomen) to the air shows page
- Received a translatoin/explanation from Jeffrey van Summeren of the two mysterious signs photographed at Wittstock open house (see air shows page)
29 April 1999
- Added two pictures of a sign showing the Fitter's rocket armament to the operations page
26 April 1999
- Added an Il 76 picture to the withdrawal page
- Added one An 26 picture to the An 26 page
- Added two MiG 29 pictures to the MiG 29 page
- Added one more picture and an impression from the Wittstock air show to the air shows page
- Added an interesting example of a MiG 27 mission, and a Russian windsock technique to the operations page
- Added a picture of a lost piece of weaponry to the airbases page
22 April 1999
- Added one MiG 23UB picture to the MiG 23 page
- Added pictures of a MiG 23 and a Su 7 on display at a supermarket on the
(incomplete) withdrawal page.
- Added one MiG 29 and one MiG 29UB to the MiG 29 page
- Added a picture showing the demolition of shelter at Wittstock, to be found at the withdrawal page
- Added a shelter picture to the airbases page
20 April 1999
- Redid the Russian star background
- Added a moody picture of the Sperenberg An 26 flightline to the airbases page
- Added a massive Hind line-up at Mahlwinkel picture on the withdrawal page
- Added four pictures taken at the Wittstock air show to the air shows page
19 April 1999
- Renamed the 'Spotting' page into the more applicable Impressions of East Germany page. The 'security' part from the original page can now be found at the Airbases page.
- Finally found a picture of the jumping car! Now to be found at the impressions page.
- Added single pictures of both the An 2 and An 12 to the aircraft page.
- Added a picture showing the Russian security system in action (not) to the airbases page.
- Added two pictures of a Hind helicopter that was sold off to a German. They can be found at
the very incomplete withdrawal page.
25 March 1999
23 March 1999
3 November 1998
- Added photographs of MiG 25 and Su 17 (one each) to the aircraft page.
10 September 1998
9 July 1998
- A temporary page was added in an attempt to identify Soviet ammunition we found at a former helicopter air base.
26 May 1998
7 May 1998
4 May 1998
- Revised the lay-out of the aircraft page. It still is not really operational, and many photographs are missing.
Return to Russian air force page